User Experience Manager
About the role
To lead user centric design and thinking at FGH to improve user experience across FGH product areas using proven UX methodologies and techniques. Role is responsible for leading, developing and managing work in areas such as UX Research, UX/Interaction Design, Information Architecture, Product Design and Motion Design.
User Centric Design Lead – In house expert on UX, digital product design and UX research, constantly evaluating approach to design, research and discovery to guide teams around product usability best practice.
Help Better Understand Users – Conduct qualitative and quantitative user research; experience mapping, service design, journey modelling, conduct stakeholder interviews, create personas, analytics, and process flows to help Investigate and explore user problems.
Design & Deliver – Create meaningful UX deliverables such as storyboards, wireframes, user flows, interaction models, journey flows, conceptual designs, and presentations that help teams understand user intent and what to build.
Manage – Lead and mentor a team of UX Designers and Product Designers.
Design System – Lead the ongoing development of an FGH wide design system which unifies product experience, leading to more efficient releases of product features across our core journeys
- Lead and mentor a team of UX Designers and Product Designers
- Create a strong foundation of collaboration between UX Designers and Product Designers
- Work closely with Product Owners to support/understand sprint goals and business requirements
- Work closely with relevant Senior Management Team to understand and support digital vision at FGH
- Design and deliver user experience solutions for all FGH products, using a thorough discovery process
- Solve problems experienced by the user with a focus on business and user outcomes
- Solve interaction design problems using analytical, usability testing and internal/external research.
- Use storyboards, wireframes, user flows, interaction models, journey flows, mental models and conceptual designs to better understand the end user.
- Support the creation of a common FGH Design Language, constantly evaluating and improving fit for both user and business requirements
- Lead the design, development and continued application of a Design System for FGH products
- Support the design and development of product frameworks for marketing and web design teams to use across all brands
- Build capabilities within the UX team to carry out front end development on product areas
- Encourage awareness of and focus on inclusive design/accessibility
- Maintain an awareness of general trends across e-commerce, and maintain a deep understanding of User Experience tools and techniques in a touch first environment.
- To be committed to the fair treatment of customers at all times
- Ensure compliance with all applicable UK and local regulations, Company Policies and FCA Conduct Rules
- Demonstrate behaviours in line with our Company values
- To take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and other persons who may be affected by acts and omissions at work
- Serious passion for user-centered design, service design and demonstrated knowledge of information architecture, usability, accessibility, interaction, UX research and product design
- A degree in design, human-computer interaction, cognitive science, human factors or a related field
- Minimum of 4 years of directly related experience (UX)
- Demonstrated expert experience in defining, planning and delivering user experience projects
- Significant expertise in reviewing existing systems and processes to identify UX issues and develop UX recommendations
- Ability to manage senior project stakeholders to help shape, define and manage ongoing expectations throughout the project lifecycle
- Proven ability to empathise with users, user needs and mental models
- Familiarity with UX trends and key methodologies
- Experience of working with a design system
- Strong skills in UX tools such as XD, Photoshop and After Effects
- Strong understanding of UX techniques such as personas, red route analysis, user mental modelling
- Experience in understanding outputs from user and stakeholder research, as well as ability to analyse data. Including an ability to synthesize understanding of analysis and user insight to shape UX design deliverables and outcomes
- Experience of working with data and data analysts to identify new opportunities of improvement
- Experience with project estimation
- Demonstrated understanding of the constraints placed on UX by specific technologies.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to present and sell ideas to various audiences (technical and non-technical)
- Ability to work independently as well in a highly collaborative, team-based environment
- Proven ability to manage UX Designers and Product Designers, and to mentor junior staff
The role is subject to credit checks.
Our staff enjoy competitive benefits including staff discount, generous annual leave, healthcare cash plan together with a vibrant, colourful, creative and flexible working atmosphere. With our competitive benefits, and supportive teams our staff enjoy helping us on our mission and benefit greatly from the challenges that come with working for a successful retailer.
Freemans Grattan Holdings (FGH) is based in West Yorkshire and is part of the OTTO Group – one of the world’s largest online retailer. FGH is the home of familiar brands such as Freemans, Grattan, Kaleidoscope, Swimwear 365, Look Again, Bonprix, Curvissa and Witt.
We offer a broad choice of products and are committed to offering great service and delivery seven days a week. We meet the needs of our extensive and varied loyal customer base by having a Customer First mantra and being fair in how we deal with our customers and employees. Innovation is key as we look for new ideas which will improve the customer experience and our business processes.
We have a great team and integrity plays an important part in how we work together. We currently employ over 700 people within Vicar Lane office, Listerhills warehouse and credit operations, offering a diverse range of opportunities, generous benefits and a good work/life balance. Our mission is to be the preferred choice in internet and home shopping…do things better or do things differently.