About the role
You will be responsible for providing a comprehensive in-house legal service. To ensure continued compliance of the business with relevant laws, regulations, guidance and best practice. To provide company secretarial / corporate governance support and oversight.
- To review, advise on and approve draft Marketing material, in particular financial promotions subject to CCA / FCA regulation.
- To educate and advise FGH personnel in all aspects of retail trading and contract law.
- Act as point of contact for West Yorkshire Trading Standards Authority.
- Deal with challenges on trading law compliance from any source (statutory / regulatory authorities, press and customers).
- Deal with civil law / commercial disputes.
- Deal with / advise on product safety matters.
- Introduce, monitor and improve effective legal compliance monitoring and due diligence systems.
- Advise on customer regulatory communication procedures e.g. Notices of Variation.
- Periodically review customer-facing documentation and business policies.
- Work closely with Credit & Regulatory compliance team on initiatives, issues, risks and governance.
- Minimise the effect of third party legal challenges and initiate legal actions, liaising with external legal advisors where needed.
- Provide company secretarial assistance and support.
- To be committed to the fair treatment of customers at all times
- To comply with FCA regulations, where applicable
- Demonstrate behaviours in line with our Company values
- To take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and other persons who may be affected by acts and omissions at work
The role is subject to credit and DBS checks
- The ideal candidate will need to have:-
- Qualification to, or currently studying for, Associate of Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators or an equivalent level of legal study or qualification.
- In depth knowledge and practical experience of the UK consumer credit industry.
- Detailed knowledge of regulation, in particular Consumer Credit Act 1974 and FCA rules & guidance.
- Knowledge of sale & supply of goods legislation, consumer rights legislation, trade description provisions, product safety legislation etc.
- Self-motivated with the ability to initiate change and to take responsibility for achieving solutions.;
- Good communicator (both written and oral).
- Innovative and detail-conscious.
- Enthusiastic and committed team player with flexible and adaptable approach.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
Our staff enjoy competitive benefits including staff discount, generous annual leave, healthcare cash plan together with a vibrant, colourful, creative and flexible working atmosphere. With our competitive benefits, and supportive teams our staff enjoy helping us on our mission and benefit greatly from the challenges that come with working for a successful retailer.
Freemans Grattan Holdings (FGH) is based in West Yorkshire and is part of the OTTO Group – one of the world’s largest online retailer. FGH is the home of familiar brands such as Freemans, Grattan, Kaleidoscope, Swimwear 365, Look Again, Bonprix, Curvissa and Witt.
We offer a broad choice of products and are committed to offering great service and delivery seven days a week. We meet the needs of our extensive and varied loyal customer base by having a Customer First mantra and being fair in how we deal with our customers and employees. Innovation is key as we look for new ideas which will improve the customer experience and our business processes.
We have a great team and integrity plays an important part in how we work together. We currently employ over 700 people within Vicar Lane office, Listerhills warehouse and credit operations, offering a diverse range of opportunities, generous benefits and a good work/life balance. Our mission is to be the preferred choice in internet and home shopping…do things better or do things differently.