Buyer - Fashion - FTC 12 months
About the role
We have a great opportunity for a Buyer to join our team to develop and deliver a FASHION, product range which fulfils customer requirements and delivers the core values and attributes of the FGH Brands. Also to manage a product team to meet current and future sales, margin and stock targets within budget.
This role is on a fixed term contract for up to 12 months to cover maternity leave.
- Manage and develop the supply base to support the execution of a sourcing strategy which balances the opportunity for maximising margin and the need for flexibility in response to changing customer and market needs
- To ensure that profit and service are potentialised and overstocks minimised
- Develop own buy ranges determined by customer demands and profitability.
- Propose and develop seasonal departmental product strategies which take account of product performance, customer requirements, marketing plans and current and future market trends
- In conjunction with the Merchandiser and QA, develop, review and gain agreement for the department strategy and targets for each product area to achieve sales and profit plans.
- Work with Merchandiser, Design, Marketing and E-Commerce to develop a critical path and ensure all key milestones are met
- Agree with Merchandise Manager the sales targets from ‘Open to Buy’ and range reviews. Agree range plan, stock flow, margins and prices with Merchandiser to ensure smooth flow of the right stock at the right time
- Constantly maintain a thorough market knowledge and awareness of changes in competitor ranges and strategies, ensuring that a commercial range is delivered and appropriate to the profile of the target customer
- In conjunction with QA, ensure that all products meet the standards of quality (functionability and consistency), Legal and Safety, whilst ensuring orders are placed on time and within the agreed critical path
- As one of the Brands Product Experts, make recommendations to Marketing and E-commerce on products that should be featured in editorial content / emails / promotions
- Agree objectives with direct reports, manage their performance and provide advice and guidance so they can work effectively and develop within their roles
Skills required for this role include:-
- At least 3 years proven experience at Buyer level in a Retail environment
- Experience of ladies fashion buying is essential
- Knowledge of multi category buying including Knitwear/Outerwear/Denim preferably
- Experience of working with Internet trading an advantage
- High level range planning and range building skills
- Overseas sourcing experience where applicable
- Related product and competitor product knowledge and experience, or skills easily transferable to the specific product area. This includes experience of researching and evaluating all product and market trends, competitor activity, understanding of customers' changing requirements, improving perceived product quality, anticipating and planning for gaps in ranges
- A good understanding of commercials is very important with the ability to accurately judge cost and selling prices on seeing products, predict sales potential of a product and understand target customers' buying behaviour
- Having the ability to adapt to different customer requirements
- Proven negotiation skills, with experience of managing a supplier base as well as sourcing new suppliers
- A positive, confident and proactive attitude
- Ability to adapt to rapid change
- High level influencing and communication skills
- Strong people management and development skills
Our staff enjoy competitive benefits including staff discount, generous annual leave, healthcare cash plan together with a vibrant, colourful, creative and flexible working atmosphere. With our competitive benefits, and supportive teams our staff enjoy helping us on our mission and benefit greatly from the challenges that come with working for a successful retailer.
Freemans Grattan Holdings (FGH) is based in West Yorkshire and is part of the OTTO Group – one of the world’s largest online retailer. FGH is the home of familiar brands such as Freemans, Grattan, Kaleidoscope, Swimwear 365, Look Again, Bonprix, Curvissa and Witt.
We offer a broad choice of products and are committed to offering great service and delivery seven days a week. We meet the needs of our extensive and varied loyal customer base by having a Customer First mantra and being fair in how we deal with our customers and employees. Innovation is key as we look for new ideas which will improve the customer experience and our business processes.
We have a great team and integrity plays an important part in how we work together. We currently employ over 700 people within Vicar Lane office, Listerhills warehouse and credit operations, offering a diverse range of opportunities, generous benefits and a good work/life balance. Our mission is to be the preferred choice in internet and home shopping…do things better or do things differently.