About the role
A great opportunity has arisen for an Assistant Buyer to join our Homes team working on the furniture range.
The purpose of the role is to develop and implement a departmental product range which satisfies customer requirements and delivers the core values and attributes of the Brands
- To select a product range under the guidance of the Buyer, which maximises sales opportunities and anticipates and exceeds customer needs – including branded products
- Responsible for managing suppliers and brands, attending trade shows and attending buying appointments whenever possible
- Responsible for all web briefs- Set-up, manage and follow through to ensure product availability for live dates
- Review the market place and latest trends in pulling together samples and colour swatches from potential suppliers and in regard to price products of trends
- Manage stylist briefs meetings for the department in absence of buying manager. Work with design to develop styling and looks.
- Assist the Buyer to create and compile detailed briefs for new developments and liaise with relevant markets
- Source merchandise to ensure product quality, value and continuity of supply in line with departmental aims
- Assist in range building and product selection
- Develop close relationships with suppliers to ensure timely and accurate samples are produced, work closely with QA to ensure procedures and approval process is to agreed policies and best practice standards
- Manage the critical path dates and schedules to ensure samples are available for photography on time, chasing where necessary
- Write product copy and loading cross-sells
- Liaise with Web Content Team and E-Commerce to ensure product copy and photographs reflect the product accurately and offer suggestions for improvement where necessary
- Set-up, manage and follow through all buying administration systems and procedures to ensure product availability and on-time delivery
- Collate information on the supplier’s performance in preparation for the supplier review including Brands both stock and Direct Despatch.
- Manage the sample room and sample process, ensuring the sample room and basement storage is kept tidy and samples are available for photography and PR opportunities when required
- Present and report on season performance and build a new strategy based on this.
Required skills and experience are:-
- Proven experience of working within a Buying Team in a retail environment
- Demonstrate understanding of different customer types and end-use of offer
- Working knowledge of buying processes
- Proven track record for developing effective working relationships
- Competitor knowledge and understanding in both retail and online
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise effectively whilst working at pace
- Previous experience of working with furniture/textiles or home wares is desirable but not essential.
- A creative flair and an interest in the home wares market.
- Competent with Microsoft Office
Our staff enjoy competitive benefits including staff discount, generous annual leave, healthcare cash plan together with a vibrant, colourful, creative and flexible working atmosphere. With our competitive benefits, and supportive teams our staff enjoy helping us on our mission and benefit greatly from the challenges that come with working for a successful retailer.
Freemans Grattan Holdings (FGH) is based in West Yorkshire and is part of the OTTO Group – one of the world’s largest online retailer. FGH is the home of familiar brands such as Freemans, Grattan, Kaleidoscope, Swimwear 365, Look Again, Bonprix, Curvissa and Witt.
We offer a broad choice of products and are committed to offering great service and delivery seven days a week. We meet the needs of our extensive and varied loyal customer base by having a Customer First mantra and being fair in how we deal with our customers and employees. Innovation is key as we look for new ideas which will improve the customer experience and our business processes.
We have a great team and integrity plays an important part in how we work together. We currently employ over 700 people within Vicar Lane office, Listerhills warehouse and credit operations, offering a diverse range of opportunities, generous benefits and a good work/life balance. Our mission is to be the preferred choice in internet and home shopping…do things better or do things differently.